Thursday, June 19, 2008

Twilight Exit Closes it's Doors

One of Seattle's best bars joins the list of casualties caused by the city's ever-growing Condo Community...

A sad, sad day it was when I first heard the rumors - my favorite Seattle bar was in danger of being sold for more high-rise apartments. With those rumors confirmed, it is only a matter of time before Seattle loses yet another cool place to hang out. It's no surprise that the area of Madison is receiving a face lift (in fact, I was happy to see the wrecking balls topple ol' Deano's Grocery Store to the ground), but couldn't they just leave The Twilight Exit alone? Sooner or later, there's going to be no places for anyone to hang out (see Vaun Raymond's Requiem for a Block on the demise of the 500 block of Pine Street).

While few may actually know, Seattle's music scene started long before the early '90s grunge era. Forty years prior to Nevermind, a small place called the Mardi Gras Grill was home to live jazz acts that helped form the "Northwest Sound". It is that same building that the Twilight Exit now resides. For a city that values its music history why can't they just spare this establishment? And more importantly, where the hell am I going to go now when I need my PBBB fix??? For those of you who don't know, PBBB = peanut butter bacon burger = fucking delicious! Wash it all down with a can or five of Olys... what a night! Well now I'm hungry. Off to the Twilight Exit I go, maybe my last trip ever.

0 comments: