Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Toadies: No Deliverance


New Toadies album set to release August 19, 2008.

Check out their website for a sample of their title track.

A short story: Once upon a time the Toadies rocked the post-grunge scene and made a killer record that still to this date has a special place in my childhood memory. Back before the age of Wikipedia and high-speed internet, I waited in the dark for a Rubberneck follow-up; however, that day never came... sadly, the band broke up - I went on with my life.

Now fast-forwarding to the year of 2001, a fantastic day occurred when my local radio station announced the return of the Toadies. In almost disbelief, I began counting the days down for the release of Hell Below / Stars Above. News traveled to me about a North American tour. To my surprise, they were going to be in Cincy (not a long drive from Indy). The day I go to buy my tickets, it's announced that the band will be adding a few more shows: one is in Indy! and better yet, on my birthday!!! Thinking that it must be fate, I make the decision to buy the Indy tickets and wait it out.

Two days before the show (only a couple days after the Cincy show), I get a call from a friend. From the sound of his tone, I brace for a tragedy to unfold... Break-up Number Two... What a shitty birthday. No Toadies at the music fest - I think Nonpoint replaced them. About a month later, the band officially announced that they were finished. They played a few reunion shows (sans bassist, Lisa Umbarger), but ultimately stated that the band would "never" again record new material.

On the contrary, sticking with the theme of releasing albums every 7 years, the Toadies announced earlier last month that their third album, No Deliverance, will drop August 19. Maybe there's still a chance of catching their live show after all...

0 comments: