Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Blakes - Still Rocking Hard

photo cred: Ben Haley

After catching local Seattle act The Blakes open for the Toadies last Friday at the Showbox, I decided that I should waste some time today at work and give these dudes a Wikipedia page (I was surprised they didn't have one already). While the band probably doesn't need my help to get them more exposure (they landed a Gap commercial featuring their song "Magic" back in February), hopefully it steers a few more fans their way. View the page here.

It seems that the consensus on these guys is still pretty polarized - as for me: I am on the side of loving this band. It really pisses me off when the city of Seattle shits on one of their own. If you don't like their style, don't go out of your way to trash them. Critics for some reason have gotten hung up on their fashion and image (as if you can hear that on a record), and these factors oddly play a role in album reviews. Who cares if they wear leather? Anyway, their show was really energetic, and not only that, the this power trio writes some catchy tunes. I'm really looking forward to what they put out next, which should be soon, I hope. I'm guessing it will include the color-blue-inspired "Magic", since Gap allowed the artists to retain all rights to their songs once the add campaign ended.

MP3:
The Blakes - "Magic"
MP3:
The Blakes - "Pistol Grip"

You can also watch the Russ Lamoureux directed video of "Magic":

0 comments: